Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Final Chapter

This post has been three months in the making and I still am having a tough time writing it. Not because I am  unable to find the words to express what I need to say but I feel like I am at the edge of a very high cliff and about to jump off without a parachute.

For the past five years, I have been happily and not-so-happily publishing MOM Magazine. When I started the mag it was with the intent of changing the stereotype of moms everywhere. I think I had some relative success with my goals and helped lend a voice to those who wanted something outside of the cookie-cutter mommy-based groups but after seeing some things recently in the mommy industry, and with my lack of interest in being a part of the mom clique or anything that it brings with it, I've decided it is time to focus my attention elsewhere.

Since the FIERCE awards, I have been plotting, planning and developing a new business that will essentially remove me and my identity from the MOM industry. I will be launching a new website in January that is FIERCE-focused and will basically swallow up MOM as you know it.

As of January, MOM will no longer be a magazine of any sort.

The website will still be found under a tab on the new FIERCE site and can still be accessed through MOMmagazine.ca and I will still be adding content that is not relevant to FIERCE onto that site (taking a deep breath for air) BUT I am no longer in love with MOM. I used to be so passionate about what I did, making a difference, breaking the rules... now I just don't give a fuck.

I'm over it. I have changed so much in the past five years that if I could visit myself five years ago, I would only smile knowingly at that 32-year-old girl, admiring her fire and drive. I wouldn't change a thing, not any of the bad and certainly not any of the good. I have met some amazing people through MOM Magazine but it's time to close the door on it.

I'm not locking that door, merely closing it silently.

Instead of jumping off that cliff, I think I'll look for a bridge to get me to the next mountain I plan on climbing.

Merry Christmas, love and light for 2012, and a nipple pinch just because.

Thanks for the last five years, it's been a helluva ride!


10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new chapter! I'm so proud of all you've accomplished and excited about what's to come. I know you will find a perfectly nice bridge... Then decide to base jump off of it and blow us all away with Fierce! Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new chapter! I am so proud of your accomplishments and excited about what's to come. I know you will find a perfectly good bridge soon... then you'll base-jump off of it anyway and blow us all away with FIERCE! hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes it has. Change, growth and SPARKLE.
    You are still you...Just FIERCERESTASTICAL. Yeah...I said it. (so can you if you sound it out :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...yeah you are. Change, growth and SPARKLE...it happens and you wear it well baby!
    You are the same person you were 5 years ago...you are just FIERCESTASTICALER! That's right. I said it. So can you if you sound it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Tamara. I am sure the new site will continue to have your usual take it or leave it flair and will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara, you're fucking awesome. You're drive and passion will touch everything you do! You inspire me, you FIERCE and incredible woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments :) I'm looking forward to this next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting!! Congrats!! Can't wait to see what is to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, exciting! Can't wait to see what's up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic news! Here's a quote for you in this time of change:

    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
    Maria Robinson quotes

    Hoping lots of wonderful things happen for you in your new venture!

    PS I was trying to find a funny quote, there were none. Apparently ppl take change very serious. Who knew!

    ReplyDelete