Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mommy Makeover

I'm in the middle of a makeover that started April 2006 and won't end until April 2008. It all started with getting my tubes tied (no more kids! YAY!) and has since led to braces, laser eye surgery and a breast reduction.

The braces sort of started the whole process of this mini-makeover. After avoiding the dentist for 14 years, I was forced to go because of a sore tooth. At that appointment, Dr. Kahls (KARO Dental) informed me that I had two baby teeth and they needed to be pulled. I was devastated, traumatized and literally went home and cried like a big baby. He only pulled the sore baby tooth at that appointment but my self-esteem took a serious blow.

For three months I walked around feeling like a toothless old hag. Usually I am a confident, somewhat vain person but not being able to smile with a full set of teeth caused me to feel self-conscious.

I sucked it up, though, and at the next appointment Dr. Kahls told me I needed braces to pull down the adult teeth.

I was certain this man hated me.

Why else would he make me endure such a terrible fate at my tender age of 31? Didn't he KNOW that I was past puberty? That it wasn't natural for a married woman with kids to wear braces??!! That my daughter and I would be teething at the same time?! Obviously he just wanted to drain my bank account, causing me to postpone pontential trip to Vegas.

I had options, though. I could have "forgotten" my scheduled appointments with Dr. Kahls and just carried on my merry way as a toothless mom.

But once again, vanity prevailed. Plus I really enjoyed his assistants Heather and Laureen. They made me feel comfortable and eased all of my anxiety about braces.

I won't go into detail about the PAIN of having my adult teeth uncovered or how my entire face throbbed when I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled or how much it SUCKED that I couldn't eat steak for almost six months.

None of that matters now. I have embraced my braces. I get the funky coloured elastics and try to accessorize with my wardrobe.

But let me tell you, after I got the braces, the glasses had to go! I actually enjoyed wearing my glasses and thought they added a "sexy librarian" facade but braces, glasses, pimples during PMS and preganacy weight? C'MON!

Hence the laser eye surgery last August. And the breast reduction? Well kids literally suck the life out of you, as many moms will attest to, and my once-fabulous boobs were now not so fabulous. So a reduction and - BONUS - a lift gave me some of that confidence back!

I've got about 9 or 10 months left with the braces and about 40 pounds to shed before I get back to pre-baby weight... ah, who am I kididng? Lola is 19 months old... I have just enjoyed one too many bottles of wine and not spent enough hours at the gym.

HOWEVER, now that I know the end is near for the braces, I must attempt the final leg of this makeover.

Who's with me?! Let's form a local support group for moms who want to shed some pounds, whether it's 100 or 10!

Cheers!
Tamara

PS don't forget to get your tickets for the pre-launch party - $10 in advance at Dragon Lilies, $15 at the door!!

1 comment:

  1. 19 months? That's all? I'm still carrying the baby fat after 3+ years. No excuses. I even lost most of it, and then gained it all back. Problem? I like food, and I'm often too busy to make time to exercise. This is in the process of being corrected though. I'm with ya.

    ReplyDelete