Wednesday, May 5, 2010

This Mother's Day, Forget About it...

Mother's Day is just another day.

It's like the highly-commercial Valentine's Day; an over-rated holiday that reaches in your wallet and steals your money all in a pathetic attempt to prove your love for ONE DAY OF THE YEAR.

To all the mom's out there who need validation from this dumbass holiday, let me offer some advice - find something else to focus on.

If your family chooses to recognize your contribution one day a year, you have bigger concerns in your family dynamic. We all get caught up in our own little bubbles of everyday drama but if I've learned anything this year, it's to appreciate the people in your life who matter, EVERY DAY.

See it for what it is

Mother's Day is really just another Sunday. Sure, it's a good excuse to get together for a family dinner but should you really concern yourself with being pampered or receiving a "special" gift because you're a MOM?

Why should your husband give you a gift on Mother's Day? You're not his mother. Do you think you deserve it because you go all out for him on Father's Day? Think again, Princess. That's all you. He doesn't ask you to do it and he probably won't cry in his coffee because you don't do didn't get him the BBQ set he always dreamed of.

What's that? You went through the pain of child birth so you "deserve" to sit on your throne and have him rub your feet? You do so much all year, that one day out of the 365, you should be rewarded for your efforts? Why? So you can bitch and complain the rest of the year about how tough you have it?

Get. Over. Yourself.

Yup, being a MOM is tough, no doubt about it. But most of you chose to have kids. You knew what you were getting into when you stopped taking the pill or "forgot" to use the condom.

These commercialized holidays are stupid. Completely. And utterly stupid. Does having a store-bought card from your one-year-old really mean that much to you? Is your self-worth as a MOM found at the bottom of a drug-store bottle of perfume that your pre-teen picked out because he couldn't buy you wine?

Yes, I know you do so much for your family and you deserve to be recognized. You cook, clean, play referee, chauffeur, plan, work, organize, bank, shop, create ... the list goes on and on.

Personally, I've never liked to share. Not my toys, not my wine and certainly not my "special occasions." So why would I share Mother's Day with the rest of the world when I can have my very own special holiday that focuses on all things ME. Oh wait. I do. It's called my birthday.

I don't care if you choose to have your hubby go out and buy you a diamond ring for Mother's Day. Just don't expect any special treatment here... We'll find another way to celebrate all you fabulous bitches!

As always... Cheers!
tamara

7 comments:

  1. Some of us don't feel like Mothers day is just another day to get a gift. I celebrate mothers day because I am Lucky enough to be a mom. I have been extremely blessed with 4 beautiful, healthy children. I celebrate mothers day not as a Day to get pampered for what I do as a mother but for the fact that I am a mom. WE take the kids to the Zoo and spend the day making wonderful memories for and with our children. I see mothers day as taking a little extra time to thank MY MOM for being a wonderful Grandma and Mom. I thank my Mother in law for my husband, His Grandma for his mom, my grandma for my mom and God for making me a mom. Its a day that you actually take the time to sit back, put your feet up, smile and thank your lucky stars that you have your children.
    I hope that there isn't a woman out there reading this blog about how Mothers day is a shame when she is trying desperately to become a mom and would love love love to receive a bouquet of flowers made of pipe cleaners and tissue paper on this Highly commercialized Day.
    I am glad you have children that are so grateful that everyday they thank you for all that you do and a husband that knows how lucky he is to have you as his children's mother. You in my eyes are the luckiest mom in the world to have such an amazing family. Kudos to you on raising children that can see the hard work you do everyday without having just another Sunday to remind them to thank you for being there for them.
    I know a few children that would love to have a mom to pamper on Mothers day.
    On sunday May 9th 2010 I will be saying thank you for my many blessings while you spend the day thinking that motherhood is not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certain that the cow that wrote this blog is a person who secretly wants all the things she is bashing. Also, YOU WRITE FOR MOM MAGAZINE! who do you think is reading this? Certainly not all the "bitches' who REMEMBERED to take their pill or use a condom you ignorant bitch. As fof your birthday, we could use the exact same approach to bashing that day as you did Mothers day. I expect to be pampered on mothers day because I am awesome, not just one sunday a year, but every fricking day. But if my husband and children are incapable of doing this for me on an average tuesday, so be it. I will take whatever goddamn day halmark institutes as a celebration of mothers.

    I run a dayhome, and today I passed out the gifts my children made for their mothers...One of my 2 year olds' moms cried tears of appreciation for the BEAUTIFUL gift he had made for her, not to mention the hug I received for thinking of her for him. So you can be a crusty old lady who obviously has inconsiderate family members all you want, but the next time you decide to write about something that you KNOW will offend so many people, try to pick a topic worth being a whore about, like how you can't lose the 88 extra pounds you gained 12 years ago whole pregnant with your kids......BITCH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your fucked in the head

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it! Thanks for the comments "ladies" ... I'm glad my blog could give you an outlet for your obviously unhappy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you responded staciclark. More tasteful for sure.

    I do not agree with the blog in the way that Mothers Day should not be celebrated, but it is truly each to their own. I also have a simple stance on blogs: You dont like it? Dont read it.

    While I agree there are woman who would give anything to be a Mother, on the flipside we also need to consider why a person might not like Mothers Day, or other holidays. For example, my work as a therapist lead me to children and adults who spent their lives being badly abused by their Mother. Mothers Day, and in many cases Fathers Day as well, were a reminder of a past they would rather leave behind. So just like it is a difficult day for Mothers who wish to have a wee one, or might have lost a child, theres another perspective. I think regardless we have to remember we dont know what another person has been through, or what they are going through now. Blogs are like a journal, free for the reading.

    I do agree with the point the blog makes that we should try to celebrate each other more often than once a year. An attitude of gratitude everyday goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dying laughing. And not at the post, but at your commenters. Good thing my blog is broken, cuz I had a very similar post planned.

    That's right, I hate Mother's Day too. Let the lynching begin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The funny thing about blogs is that it is written word; there is no body language, or tone of voice or physical attributes! People can only take it for what they see it as, no matter how it is written. When I read it, I laughed (and I like Mother's day for all the reasons the commenter’s noted), but I also know the Blog writer, personally, intimately as friends, and since we were young, and to know her is to love her! If you are blessed enough to know her, then the blog is very enjoyable, you understand how to take the blog, and you appreciate it for what it is. If you don't know her, you should learn not to take the blog to heart, and take it for what it is, "her feelings and her opinions, and her right to voice it". Freedom of Speech, people! If you don't like what she writes, don't read it. This Blog is not forced on you, you choose to enter it!
    As for Mother's Day being overly commercialized - DAMN RIGHT!!! My daughter is from a split home, and as fortune would have it, her weekend with her dad fell on what we call "Mother's Day", and her weekends are not flexible so she was not able to be with me, which upset her to no end. She felt miserable and in tears that she couldn't be with me on "Mother's Day". So I told her exactly this - "Mother's Day is every day and any day of the year, and we will celebrate it many times in 2010, 2011, 2012". It does not have to be celebrated on the 2nd Sunday in May, just cause Hallmark says it should be. Yes it's a nice gesture to have a specific day to ensure we are all paid the respect and tributes we deserve, as well as to pay it forward to who we consider our “Moms”, but really if someone doesn't believe in it - so be it.
    Perhaps, if we spent more time being passionate about true crisis – homelessness, child abuse, war, etc., then the world would be a better place. Stay Gold T. – I luv the Blog!

    ReplyDelete