Saturday, July 21, 2012

Going Blue 4U

Image via SimpleeSerene
One of my most favourite FIERCE women to talk about is Lee Horbachewski. 

I love telling her story and sharing who she is with the world because her strength, resilience, compassion, and light make her relatable and endearing to so many people who have suffered through depression.

Lee struggled for many years with whether or not she should openly discuss the fact that she tried to commit suicide after a dark battle with depression. People would ask her, "Do you really want to be known as the 'Suicide Girl?'"

She shared her story on her blog, through speaking engagements and finally wrote a book called A Quiet Strong Voice which she recently launched in Calgary, AB.

In it, she shares her pain, her struggles, even her suicide note that she left for her friends and family. Towards the end of the book, she offers a chapter called, "Your Personal Reflection," which is a place for you to put your own thoughts through a series of questions, plus she offers resources and help for people in distress.

This book is more than a story. It's a guide for anyone who has ever suffered with depression. It's a book I wish I had when I was going through my own personal journey.

Lee is determined to change the stigma of depression and suicide, and she created a campaign called "Going Blue 4 U.

This campaign is a FUN way to bring awareness to mental illness. You can donate directly through the website or raise money and dye your hair blue! Right now, Lee has a fundraiser going on to raise money for Going Blue 4 U. Check it out!

I'm also giving away a signed copy of Lee's book. All YOU have to do is leave a comment on the blog. I will randomly draw a winner on July 31.
 



Return to You Are FIERCE

18 comments:

  1. Dearest Tamara,

    You my dear ROCK my world. Seeing you at the book launch was one of the highlights of my night. Now this just tops the cake. I am beyond touched, and deeply honored. Words can't fully express my gratitude.

    With love, hugs and gratitude.
    Lee xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this book would be a great resource for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pick me! I would love a copy of that book! I'm going through my own journey right now and this would rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone and you are loved. Sending good energy your way. Hugs Lee

      Delete
  4. Pick me! I would love a copy of that book! I'm going through my own journey right now and this would rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee, You are amazing!! I'm grateful I had the chance to meet you when I was in Calgary. It was the highlight of my trip. I'm looking forward to reading your book. Tamara, thanks for this great post. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David you are such a sweetheart, it was so wonderful meeting you. Look forward to when you come out again. Hugs Lee :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lee. I`m working on getting out that way sooner than later. Trying to arrange some clinics and workshops. Keep up all the great things you're doing. David

      Delete
    3. That would be awesome David. Be sure to let me know when you're in town. I hope to get out to Torotno for a book launch :D

      Delete
  6. So thankful for the brave people who can speak out. Can't wait to read the book, win or no win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laurie. The more we speak out, the more chance the stigma of mental illness will be reduced. Hugs Lee :D

      Delete
  7. Please disregard all the previous "pick me's" because I am the true blue pick me! I NEED to read this book and then I will pass on the book to others it would benefit. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so cute Dina. Love the pay it forward philosophy.
      Hugs Lee :D

      Delete
  8. Erica Lewis - following FIERCE on fb!July 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM

    Depression is rife through the generations in my family - the hardest part is that everyone pretends it's not happening - apart from me! They won't face the 'shame' but I will and ths book would help me break the cycle! Sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure is Erica. Denial plays a huge part in people not receiving the help and support they need. One of my favorite questions to ask people is " What are you pretending not to know?". Shame plays such a huge role in depression. There is no shame, it's an illness that like any other needs treatment, whether it be medical, wholistic or a combination of both. The more we talk about it, the less stigma will be attached. That day is coming, slowly but surely. The day that mental illness will be openly discussed, supported and accepted.
    Hugs Lee :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having spoken to Lee and recieved her support I can say myself she is a true earth angel. Let's face it, it takes a pretty special person to support someone in the UK all the way from Canada! I would love to read this book!
    Also just while I'm at it, thank you Lee! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was hospitalized twice because I was suicidal - the second time after actually cutting myself. I understand the hopelessness that you can feel as well as the stigma it incurs. I know someone battling depression right now, and if I had the book I would send it to her to hopefully help her through it all.

    ReplyDelete