Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tim McLean's Mom

I just watched a video of Tim McLean's mom, Carol deDelley, speaking out for the first time.

I am amazed at her strength. Just watching her speak - only a month after his gruesome murder on a Greyhound Bus - was enough to bring back all of the empathy and sadness I initially felt when I heard about this tragedy.

She was composed, strong and articulate during her interview with the Winnipeg Free Press. She has kind, dark brown eyes and a maternal warmth that makes her the kind of woman you want to hug when you see her.

She spoke of hearing of the murder on the news all day Thursday and thinking, "Oh my God, that's horrible. What state did that happen in? Because it just doesn't happen here.
"And then my thoughts were immediatly to the family." She is a cook in a seniors manor and that night Carol and the seniors watched the news together, commenting on how horrible the murder was. When she returned home that night, her ex-husband called and asked if she had seen the news. "Well, ya, I've heard," she replied.
"It was Tim."
She shook her head and said, "Don't say that. Don't say that."
"No, Carol, the RCMP phoned and they're on their way over here."

"Empathy - you're at an arm's length to feel sorry for a family's loss - and you can feel that sorrow. But not like this. This is like a kick in the gut. This is heart-wrenching. I feel like I've got a whole here now," she says, touching her heart.

She has had to watch her parents suffer throughout this tragedy and knows that her parents wish they could do something to ease her pain.

"My dad wants to reach into my heart and take away the pain.

"And he can't."

Not once during this interview did she break down. I lost track of the amount of times I cried, wishing for just one minute I could - like her dad - take away the pain.

Her strength amazes me. Seeing her speak about Tim and the events of his death made me want to reach out to this mom even more.

Carol had to read about all of the things that happened to Tim on that bus. She knew all of the gory details because they were played out in the media over and over again. She knew all of that even before she knew it was her son that it had happened to.

I encourage you to watch the video and see for yourself how courageous this mom is.

She will forever be in our hearts and prayers.

Tamara

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1494875036?bclid=1753282616&bctid=1753232394

No comments:

Post a Comment