Saturday, April 4, 2009

dear diary, I was in awe...

For the past three days, I have been at the Alberta Women Entrepreneurs conference at the River Cree.

It was basically a gathering of business women to network, listen to amazing speakers and learn how to be innovative and successful.

I can't say it was the best use of my time but it wasn't a total wash.

Personally, the hilight was a phenomenal speech given by Ben Barry, the creator of the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty. You know that campaign - it's the reason we all LOVE DOVE!

He is YOUNG!! 26 to be exact! His story is amazing but I'm not going to tell you right now...

Anyway, he was so inspiring and fabulous that I had to show him the magazine. He LOVED IT!!! Because we do what he does - only on a much smaller scale but with the same empowering message!!

Also, I truly enjoyed listening to Eveline Charles, CEO extraordinaire of EvelineCharles Salon and Spas... I had heard things about her prior to meeting or hearing her speak. Things like: She's a bitch, she's a piranha, she will eat you ALIVE, she has no time for anyone who is "beneath her"... I'm sure you've heard the rumours.

But, having never met her I was curious about her story and what she had to say. As I listened to her speak, I realized we had very similar personalities and similar drive and passion for what we do. Now, I admit, I've been called a bitch, too, among other things but I truly beleive that those who do the namecalling are weak and jealous.

I had the chance to chat with Eveline after her speech and was thrilled that she took some time to look at the magazine and offered to follow up with a phone call to chat further. That is one phone call I am looking forward to!!

Another "piranha" who was there was Venture Publishing CEO Ruth Kelly. The rumours about her are similar to those of Eveline Charles. However, having worked for Ruth I could see why and where those rumours came from because she IS tough and she can cut you into a thousand little pieces with her comments. God knows, she did it to me. But you know what? She didn't get to where she is by mothering her staff or playing nice with the boys. She did it by kickin' ass and takin' names. But there is another side of her that, if you're perceptive enough and smart enough to recognize it, is caring and thoughtful. If she weren't, I don't think I would've been able to approach her for mentoring with my magazine. But when I did, she took time out of her INCREDIBLY busy schedule to help me. Some of her advice I took and some of it I filed for future reference.

I digress.

The point is, the conference was "meh" and I would have like to see more hands-on training in smaller groups.

Oh, and Debbie Travis was there!! She closed out the conference talking about sex and alcohol. Seriously, I think she's a dirrty girl the way she was handing out dating tips like "Have sex on the first night!" and how she enjoyed "Drinking lots of wine and lots of coffee to recover!" I loved how real she was!!

Well, it's Saturday and I haven't seen my kids for EVER so I'm taking the Oz man with me to deliver magazines. Quality time with the boy! Oh, and I think Monsters vs. Aliens is on, too, so we might take that in...

What do you have planned for the weekend?!

Be safe, regardless of what it is!

t.

No comments:

Post a Comment