Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dear Diary: A new month, a new outlook

Oh dear diary, you know how shitty this past couple of months has been... well... I've decided to redirect my attention to things I can control; the magazine, my home and myself.

Last week, I was told my granpa has about 2 months left to live.
Good. Times.
But I expected it so there's really nothing I can change or control about this situation except that I can make the most of each moment I have left with the old boy.

However, I also realize that I am close to burning out from stress so if I'm not healthy I won't be good to anyone, not my kids, not Big Daddy, and definitely not my grandfather.

That is why I'm focusing on the next issue of MOM Magazine and our inaugural FIERCE Women of the Year awards.
Are you FIERCE?
  • Outstanding MEO:
    YOU are an entrepreneurial mom who juggles work, home life, friends, family and are an industry leader! You run your own business. Your determination, spunk and grit have gotten you to where you are today. You have launched a successful marketing campaign for your business, shown impressive growth, mastered the art of social media and self-promotion, and can sell your products/services to your target market. When people talk about you and your business, it's with awe and respect because YOU impress people wherever you go.
  • Phenomenal Female: YOU have overcome huge obstacles in your life and are living a richer, fuller life in spite of the challenges you have faced. Life hasn't always been easy... there have been times when you thought you wouldn't make it but you found a way! You didn't let adversity win, you kicked it right in the ass and took back your life!
  • Rising Star: YOU are under 35 and have rocked the business world! You are making a difference in your community and will be a force to be reckoned with! Your ambition knows no boundaries! You may be young but you are brilliant, driven, influential, have great leadership skills and show the potential to continue making a difference in the community.
  • Dame Diva: YOU are past the poopy diaper stage of motherhood and enjoying the empty nest. Once a mom, always a mom, but you are also a woman, wife, friend, mentor and goddess! You share your experience with other women through volunteer work and/or in the work force. You offer advice, wisdom and comfort, and are seen as a mentor to younger women.
  • MOM Extraordinaire: YOU do it all! Volunteer, schedule appointments, take the day off to stay home with sick kids, co-ordinate playdates, run the household, do the laundry, bake the birthday cakes... there’s nothing you don’t do for your family! There is no such thing as "Just a MOM" and you deserve to be recognized for everything you do!

I've also changed some of the criteria for the awards and you do not have to be a member of FIERCE to qualify for these awards. Simply send in the entry/nomination form and we will contact the nominee for an interview.

This contest is open to anyone in the Greater Edmonton region but next year we are opening up the awards on a national level.

Let's honour some of the women who have made a difference! Don't be afraid to nominate yourself! We love to see women who are confident in themselves!!

I look forward to seeing your entries!

t.

PS I want to thank everyone for their support and understanding during this extremely difficult time with my grandfather. It's not easy watching someone you love, die. Your kind thoughts and words mean more to me than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment