Tuesday, June 1, 2010

30 Lashes for MOM



I've recently discovered my inner girly-girl and have been indulging in some rather unusual (for me, anyway) beauty treatments.




Allow me to explain: I'm not high-maintenance. Yes, I dye my hair (I'm just blonde at heart), yes I like makeup and yes, I get fake nails every once in a while. However, I'm not that MOM who has to put on a full face of makeup and wear heels to Wal-Mart (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not me).




But lately I've been more comfortable in sweats and T-shirts (probably a direct result of my depression and indifference to my appearance) so I have had to make an effort to reclaim my fabulous old self; to look as good on the outside as I feel on the inside.




Since my eyes are my best facial feature, I decided to bring as much attention to them as possible and what a better way to do it than lash extentions! Because, let's face it, I couldn't apply false lashes if someone held my wine bottle for ransom.




In Edmonton, the choices are far and few between for good lash services so I had to look high and low until I came across Bizou Lash Studio. Always one to research online, I checked out the website only to find it was "in progress." *Note to any and all business owners: Have your damn website up and working so that potential clients can research your products prior to booking a service.




However, I did find their Facebook fan page and found a enough information for me to book a session.




I have sparse, short blonde lashes and I know that it makes it extremely difficult to adhere extentions to. In fact, I had them done at a "salon" in Spruce Grove and they fell out less than three days later. $70 and no lashes later, I was not a happy girl.




But the professionalism at Bizou blew me away. They start with a consultation, asking colour, length and style of lashes that you want/need.




The process takes about an hour and once the lashes are applied, they send you home with a sheet of instructions on care for your new FABULASHes!!




I loved these lashes. For $90, you get a full set of lashes that lasts about three weeks. I lost a few over the course of three weeks but nothing that made me think I looked (eye)bald.




Fills at Bizou are about $40-60 and well worth it.




The downside: You can not walk in off the street if you're wandering along Whyte Ave. and decide you want lashes. This is currently a "by-appointment-only" studio.




Parking on Whyte Ave is ridiculous so be prepared to pay and walk unless you luck out and find a meter outside the Studio but even then it's only 2 hour parking.




A few weeks after my fabulous experience at Bizou (when I missed my fill appointment) I found a place in the west end that offers Lash Extentions for $55!




What a BARGAIN! Because I've seen places that charge upwards of $150 for a set!




My first thought on lash extentions is "WHY are they more expensive than a full set of nails?" They take about the same amount of time to apply and they last for about the same amount of time.




The tech at Bizou said she thinks it's due to the cost of the products.




So when I found this sweet little deal at Lovella salon, I booked myself an appointment. There was no consultation, no cheat sheet for care and no fancy schmancy schitck. But there is a a Facebook page complete with information about the salon and the other services they offer.




The tech was efficient, I was able to bring my 4-year-old daughter who watched Treehouse and coloured while I got my lashes applied, and found quite the little gem of a salon in the westend.




My lashes are not as full as they were at Bizou but they still look nice. I would equate this experience to the same you would get at a walk-in nail clinic except the atmosphere is much nicer and more appealing. The salon is open 7 days a week, there's ample free parking and walk-ins are welcome.




I will update you as to how well/long they last in about three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment