Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This is why I do what I do

Every year around this time, I question my sanity.

I barely sleep, I immerse myself in all things FIERCE neglecting my house and family, and I look like hell.

And then I get an email like this, reaffirming that FIERCE makes a difference to so many women because it connects them in a way no other networking group ever could (not the FIERCE is a networking group for the record).

Hey Tamara!
I wanted to send you something that really put a smile on my face that I just had to share with you. While I am of course thankful that you chose me to represent the FIERCE awards on BTEdmonton... apparently I am not the only one. As you know, I try my hardest at Graves Disease awareness and in return, I have met multiple people from around the world with the same diagnosis.  
Because of you, someone out there felt a little less lonely dealing with it too. 
This lady who has had Graves for 19 years and had not met a single soul with it before, wrote me after seeing me on BT yesterday.  
I wanted to share this e-mail with you to let you know about your 'good deed'. Thank you for being the reason I now have the ability to help someone else through the hopeless times I have also been through. 
Hope all is well with you!! Good luck and enjoy the FIERCE awards!!! (It will be amazing!)
Rayanne 

(Rayanne won't be at the FIERCE awards next week because she will be having surgery again but our FIERCE girls will definitely be thinking of her!!)


Hi:):)
I was diagnosed in march 1994.  I went for a routine physical.... Ended up with graves.  Never heard of it....I was 25..... And a few months away from my first wedding anniversary.  That June I had radioactive iodine.... That July I celebrated my first anniversary ..... And began to gain weight & everything began to fall further apart.  By November I was 60 lbs heavier. 
I spent years driving home from the Dr. appointments crying  thinking what the hell is happening to me.  Like u, i thought.... I am here.... Suck it up..... FIGHT! 
Well it's been many years and to be honest I am still searching for answers.
I don't know anyone else with Graves.  And now I wonder why there is no support for us.... Or maybe there is & no one told me. I feel so alone.  
I saw u on BT this week.... But only caught the bit about ur award.  I didn't know who u were or what ur story was or why u were receiving the award.   
It is thanksgiving Monday morning .... And I can't sleep.  I turn on BT & see u again on their best of show.  This time I see the whole clip and am in total awe!!!!!! 
I believe everything happens for a reason. I was meant to see this....to learn about u. I googled u and read a bit of ur blog.  I had a few realizations and knew I  needed to talk to u.  Even though I've had it 19 years ago, I still yearn to learn more, Understand it better.... As I am still dealing with the fallout and am scared for my future... For my health. 
I really hope to hear from u... U r the  only other person I've come across with graves.... Wow:). I'm sad to say I'm glad to have seen u .... As I am sad you went & are going thru so much crap.... Yet have hope we can bring each other comfort and learn together....support each other. 
With hope and fight still in me....
Francie 
I am thankful for so much today.... And now meeting u via media is one of the things I am thankful for.  Hang in there;). 



Return to You Are FIERCE


2 comments:

  1. I do what I do because I want to leave Edmonton a better place than it was given to me. To help small businesses build strong foundations in the community before they venture out full force and to ensure they survive longer than the statistics tell them.

    I do it to see smiles on people's faces when they have created their own success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Marissa, thank you SO much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete