Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Happy Holidays!

I hope you all are enjoying some great leftovers today, along with some AWESOME Boxing Day deals!

We will start planning our Spring issue next week. If there is anything you want to see or if you have someone you would like to see featured, then please give us a shout! We are always open to suggestions for article ideas or features.

I know I was supposed to post some pics from the Spice Girls concert but I have no idea where the time went. To top EVERYTHING else off, my little family had the stomach flu for Christmas! Nice, eh? We ended up staying home for the holidays instead of making our usual trek to Wetaskiwin where Ron's parents live. As I cooked my little chicken last night I realized just how much I prefer to spend the holidays with them. Ron's brother and his wife are usually there, too, so I have some drinking partners!

Most times I complain about having to go to see the in-laws but last night as I poured the box of Stove Top Stuffing and opened my package of gravy, I found myself truly bummed that we weren't enjoying a homemade Christmas meal.

I shouldn't complain because I know I am fortunate. There was a time in my life when the meal I had last night with my family would have been considered "gourmet." That was when I was a kid and some days I would have Ketchup sandwiches for lunch. Not by choice, either.

My grandma would do everything to ensure a yummy dinner but eventually it would turn into a family brawl. Unfortunatly, I think these memories shaped my way of thinking about the term "family" so I never wanted to be a part of one. Even after I married Ron, I kept a distance from his family despite the fact they made the Brady Bunch look bad. They are wonderful people and in my own way I adore them. My mother-in-law annoys the crap out of me and I think she always will. But I will take her over my own mom, as bad as that sounds. My kids are so luck they don't have to listen to breaking dishes or nasty swearing (except the "mommy words" that I use!) or see their dad get into a fight with HIS dad because of something that happened 15 years ago.

Nope, my kids have it very good. Instead of waiting for Santas Anonymous to deliver presents so that we have something under the tree, we deliver presents for Santas Anonymous. Instead of dreading family get-togethers, my kids enjoy spending time with their uncle Randy and aunty Charlene.

And even though our Christmas was small and spent fighting over the toilet, we were together.

Merry Christmas!! I look forward to chatting with you all in the New Year!

Cheers!
t.

No comments:

Post a Comment