Wednesday, January 13, 2010

10 Things I Love About Big Daddy

It's our 10th wedding anniversary today and in honour of the 10 years that Big Daddy has put up with me, I've decided to list 10 things I love about the big boy.

Indulge me, for a moment, as I share a little background. It was -26C the day we got married but I always said it would be a cold day in hell if I ever walked down the aisle. I mean, who wanted to be stuck with ONE guy for the rest of their lives, let alone have kids? Sure as hell not this career-oriented babe. Nope, I was going to play the field, go from a minor daily newspaper as a sports scribe to a TV career on TSN! Yes! I had it all figured out.

And then, one impulsive trip back to Edmonton to spend New Year's Eve with my cousin and his wife led to a chance encounter that drastically changed the course of my life.

And now, after 11 years of being together and 10 years of marriage, I need to share with you what makes Big Daddy so damn amazing.

Prepare.... to be AMAZED!

10. He always tells me he loves me. Multiple times a day. Even when I don't like him at that moment, he'll tell me he loves me. Although when I ask him WHY, he never comes up with an answer. I think it's because I'm so freakin' awesome that there can't be just one reason.

9. The first night we met, we were bantering and he looked across the table and said, "I think you need a spanking." I knew then that a) I was completely turned on and b) he was smart enough to keep up with my witty conversation.

8. He's the funniest and smartest person I've ever met. I actually never knew I was as funny as I am until I met him because he introduced me to inappropriate humour like Southpark. I always liked dark comedy but childish comedy, not so much. However, because of Big Daddy, I realize that I AM Peter Griffin. So, in essence, Big Daddy is bangin' Peter Griffin. Weird.

7. Whenever I think of him, I smile. Most days. Don't get me wrong, it's not all sunshine and lollipops over here but when I am feelin' all lovey dovey and think of him, he makes me smile. Just picturing his pretty mug makes me grin.Now if that ain't love, I don't know what is!

6. He is the best dad in the world! Our kids are who they are because he is their dad. They have all of his best qualities and only a hint of his bad traits (yes, even Big Daddy is not perfect, as much as he'd like to think so).

5. Patience. He has more than Ghandi and Mother Theresa put together. Seriously. Because to be married to me and my smart ass attitude, one must be patient.

4. He accepts me for who I am. He wishes I would do things differently which means "his way" but he realized very early in our relationship that I march to my own beat. And, like Frank Sinatra, I do it my way. Right or wrong, I live life the way I want to live it, not the way I "should" live it, or "should" parent my kids, or "should" act in certain situations. And in spite of the way I am, he loves me.

3. Las Vegas. I actually booked an impulse trip on a Thursday to leave on the Sunday for our first trip to Vegas but once we got there, Big Daddy fell in love with Sin City (he wasn't too happy that I used our Bay Card to book the trip and subsequently cancelled the card but he enjoyed himself, nonetheless). Vegas has since become our escape from reality. That bright light city surely set our soul... it went and set our soul on fire! VIVA! Las Vegas!! Seriously, it's the place we go where no one needs us and we can forget everything for three days.

2. He's my best friend. I can tell him anything and not worry about him judging me (except when it comes to money, then he gets all "responsible" on me. It's annoying). But for the most part, he's pretty awesome. He'll even watch award shows with me!

1. I've never trusted anyone the way I trust Big Daddy. He makes me feel safe and secure, something I never had in my life (with the exception of my grandparents, of course). But trusting people has never been my strong suit, so trusting him the way I do is a big deal. I'm never worried about him cheating or doing anything to jeopardize our relationship. There's something about trusting someone so completely that is freeing and wonderful.

Happy 10th, babe. I love you more than you know!!

xoxo

t.

2 comments:

  1. Aw amazing! I can just feeeel the luv ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Niblets - that is pretty darned cute you two!!
    smooches on your big day!!

    ReplyDelete