Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be haters

I've always had issues with societies idea of beauty and weight, even when I was at my most fit (right before I got pregnant with Lola, and let me tell you I was bangin' hot, sexy fit!) up until now when I've gone through a few of the worst years of my life and am at my heaviest (soooo not me but I am getting back to healthy although I will NEVER give up my wine or coffee).


Lately I've been watching the comments on twitter made about starlet Demi Levato, who I really know nothing about other than she's young, recently went to rehab for an eating disorder that she battled since childhood, depression (she was diagnosed as bipolar) and cutting (she was photographed a couple of years ago with scars on her wrists, something she hid from her parents). 


In April, Demi gave a full interview on 20/20, opening up about her life and the struggles she faced as a child star, being called fat and how it led to the eating disorder. 




Last weekend at the Much Music VMA's, Demi was photographed on the red carped with her friend Selena Gomez. 



And then the twitter backlash started.

Tweets from all over calling her fat. 

In a classy move stemming from an obviously new mindset, Demi's only comment to the public was:  

 
No one is perfect and we all have our moments but overall we need to really make some serious changes with the way people think and it starts within our own homes.

Body shapes aren't a one-size-fits-all. 


5 comments:

  1. Very well said Tamara. I remember in school when I was a size zero and a size 7 was fat (I remember this in my first marriage as well). In my 30's (after I left my husband) I decided to stop calling myself fat and start calling myself curvy - my outlook changed a lot! I met the man I was destined to be with and he worships every curve on my body. Although I would prefer to be thinner (a size 9 perhaps) I make sure that those comments are not the ones my children hear - I tell my children that I am a hot mom and they should be happy they have such a good lookin' parent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I was annoyed reading those comments. People need to get a grip and stop turning their kids into hateful little brats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Donna, that's AWESOME! I remember the same thing, that being a size 7 was fat. FML what a stupid thing to grow up thinking that because I look back at my pictures and think DAYUM I was smokin hot when at the time I thought I was fat. Sigh. Can't have those days (or that body) back.

    @Caffinated Bliss (love the name btw) I concur, we can't push our insecurities on our kids. It's like being the stage mom who pushes her kid into an episode of Tiaras and Toddlers, seriously pathetic.

    thanks for the comments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! It is so sad that things are still happening from when we were young. I was once super thin and hated looking like just skin and bones. I grew up and put on a freshman 15 and looked amazing. The first thing that my family said to me "you got fat!" I still remember the hurt! It didn't stop me from being ME and loving me for what's on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mommy In Training yep I don't think a lot of people realize how hurtful comments like that can be but it is clearly a reflection of their own issues, although when you're 18 and hearing that you don't always put it into that perspective. It's why we need to teach empathy and compassion to our kids not show them how to be snarky or catty. Good for you for maintaining a healthy mindset!

    ReplyDelete