Thursday, September 22, 2011

The other woman

I admit it, there's someone else. 


She came into my life not long ago, enticing me with her quick & easy ways... she sure knew what I wanted, needed, even.


She was fast and cheap; hot and ready; she had me at hello.


She knew I didn't have much time but she was there when I needed her the most. Big Daddy didn't even know about her until he caught us together but he wasn't surprised; I think he suspected all along. He didn't seem to mind, though, he just smiled at us and asked if he could help. Of course I said no, I mean, it wasn't going to take me long to finish so there was no point in including him.


Her name is Jane and she is my dirty little secret. 


But I like to share because, well, sharing is caring and Jane should be shared. 


I've always been skeptical of frozen, fast foods but have always loved the convenience, especially when supper hasn't been planned ahead or I'm not feeling like creating cuisine from scratch but when Janes Family Foods offered to send me this gift basket of their latest products, I thought, "What the hell? I like easy!"


I never expected to LOVE these FlatJacks (approx. $6 at Wal-Mart) in fact I had no idea what the hell a FlatJack was. I figured it was some sort of toaster pancake but was pleasantly surprised to find they are chicken snacks you pop in your toaster. No fuss, no muss, no stress, no mess.


Being the creative type I am totally not  I decided to make Oz and Lola a quickie supper with them, and since Lola is somewhat of a picky eater and I'm certain a vegetarian (except for her weird obsession with bacon), I usually end up making two versions of supper: one plain, one with flavour.


For Oz, I made a double FlatJack sandwich with cheese and lettuce on a bun with ketchup. He polished if off in record time and asked for a second sandwich! 



For the fusspot, I toasted the FlatJack, cut it up and served the bun on the side. I added the ketchup in hopes she would use it (what kid, other than Lola, doesn't love ketchup?!) but she refused to even acknowledge the chicken that had been touched by the ketchup. Her vegetarian tendencies aside, she not only ATE the FlatJacks but she declared her LOVE for the FlatJacks.


I admit it, I tried one and was not only impressed by the flavour of these little snacks but loved that they weren't crap. You moms know what I'm talking about here, there are certain brands of frozen foods that are made from crap and you hate feeding them to your family but sometimes do as an alternative to cooking ... yeh I didn't feel guilty about serving this. Not one little bit.

I'm also a fan of Jane's seafood products as they are MSC approved which means they only use sustainable fish and seafood.

So now you know about Jane. I have no shame or remorse for my love affair with her and I certainly plan on using her again and again. Hell maybe even next time I'll let Big Daddy not only watch but join in!

Oh and as an added bonus, Jane's is giving away a gift basket with a Black & Decker toaster and gift certificates to try out their fantastic products. Post a comment and I will have Oz & Lola draw a random winner. 


PS: For your info...



17 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmm, Jane you say? I may just have to give her a go...I assume you don't mind sharing :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane must be a bit of a floozy because she visits my house regularly as well!

    That sandwich looks so good. I haven't tried the FlatJacks yet but will have to pick up a box soon.

    PS: I sure could use a new toaster;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love jane's chicken strips. I've been curious about flatjacks - meat from the toaster is a strange idea to me but I think they're worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby comes home really hungry sometimes and if I don't get food into him fast, he gets cranky...these would be a solution for those days when I am behind schedule! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love Janes products..I have never tried the flat jacks but they look delicious and super quick and easy
    thanks
    flower_child_23(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm, If you like em' I'll give em' a try. I am a bit skeptical of freezer food too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This family loves the flat jacks, the only problem I have with them is they disappear from my freezer too fast! We love all the Janes products but this one is so quick and easy to prepare. Must try this sandwich, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip > Tamara. I`m always looking for quick meal options that will please the whole family. (LesliCKellow on Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just bought some of these the other day. My son, who is a very picky eater, loves them. He also really enjoys the Janes pub style chicken strips, which are pretty tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have yet to meet Jane, looking forward to enjoying her myself

    sweetpeg at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm..looks yummy! I would love to try these..!
    ksceviour at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like I should really give these a try. I seem to always be at a loss for lunch ideas for my daughter and these sound like the perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Janes, she regularly stops by for meals here.
    skeetersden[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a good after school option for dd!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an awesome product for my DIY kids

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to everyone who entered! Oz and Lola picked a random # between 1-16, 16 being the # of comments here and chose 7, so congrats to @mommyintraining! She has been notified of her prize package.

    Also, even if you didn't win, seriously, check out the Flapjacks & seafood, we totally love this product!

    Cheers!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete