Sunday, March 22, 2009

dear diary, there's a noose at the end of my rope

So, the AMPA conference has come and gone, and with it is my arrogance, self-confidence and sense of accomplishment.

The industry experts didn't like the fonts we use, the MOM logo, the photography, the covers, the layouts... not a friggin thing.

It's frustrating to me and, yes, I threw myself a little pity party for one.

One design expert suggested - strongly - that I change the logo. "Whisper," she said. "Don't shout."

I wanted to shout, "WTF do you know!" but thought that might be inappropriate seeing as she is an "expert" and all.

There were multiple comments in regards to typeface, leading, kerning, headlines, decks, bylines, and cover fonts and how I was bastardinzing the industry by not following the "rules."

Well, after taking a long, hard, critical look at where we've been and where we are now, here's what I have to say to the so-called "experts."

"Shove your opinions up your ass, right along with the stick you've got up there!"

I know the magazine is far from perfect and will probably never meet the standards set by such polished and poised magazines as The New Yorker or Rolling Stone but I stand proudly behind everything we've done and everything we've accomplished. No one handed me a rule book at the beginning of this journey and like so much other advice I will take from it what I need and promptly throw the rest away.

No one knows MOM better than I do. No one can take more credit for the success of the magazine than I can just like no one can take more responsibility for the mistakes that we make than I can.

MOM Magazine - in spite of the naysayers and critics - still ROCKS!

And if you don't like it, then quit picking it up just so you can bitch about it.

As always....

t.

No comments:

Post a Comment