Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dear Diary: Cankle lipo? Are you freakin' KIDDING ME!

I know I suffer from the same basic insecurities as the next mom but the thought of getting any cosmetic procedures has never really been on the top of my priority list.

Yes, I got a boob reduction but I really did have back issues (although I was more than happy with having my boobs put back where they belong) and yes, I had lasik eye surgery but that was only after I had to get braces but that was due to having gone into the dentist with a full set of teeth only to leave TOOTHLESS because he saw that I had 2 baby teeth (it was my first trip to the dentist in 14 years, how could I know?)

Anyway, I'm talking more mainstream cosmetic treatments like permanent makeup or botox or lipo. Not my thing but that's my opinion (for now).

Anyhoo, I normally don't care if someone wants to get a treatment done. Who am I to judge? However when I got this press release I shook my head and wondered if I'd had one too many glasses of wine before reading this.
This press release is real - seriously.
Cosmetic Surgery Procedures, from Cankle Lipo to Pec Implants
Hi Tamara,

These days cosmetic surgery can be used to enhance almost any part of the body, I'd like to offer you top cosmetic surgeon to comment on the newest procedures their patients are requesting, leaving tummy tucks in the dust!
Toe Facelift: Patients are having toe fat removed in their big toe or adding fat to the balls of their feet to help them endure block after block in Jimmy Choo! Also surgical shortening of the second toe, prevents long second toes from hanging over the edge of an open-toe
pump.
Belly-button Modification: Ever wished you could turn your outtie into an innie? With unbilicoplasty, you can! Depending on how your umbilical cord was severed when you were born, you can have your ideal belly button in no time.

Cankle Lipo: If you've ever seen thick ankles that look like a continuation of calves, you know what a "cankle" is. Some women are genetically predisposed to have more leg and ankle fat, and fatty deposits in the ankles are among the most resistant to diet and exercise. Doctors can now use liposuction to sculpt a more shapely transition from calf to foot.

Pec Implants: Pectoral implants for men, while still a niche procedure, were up 203% between 2007 and 2008. When weightlifting and exercise don't produce results, some men compensate with boob jobs for boys.

If you'd like to set up an interview please let me know, I can set it up today!

Thanks,
Wow. Is this what women have been reduced to?
I'm surprised but not really. How pathetic is it that cosmetic surgeons have to constantly come up with new things for women to feel bad about?
Surgeon: "Wow, are you really happy with your fat feet? Honestly, how do you expect anyone to love you if your feet look like Cinderella's ugly, fat step-sister Anastasia and Drizella? Oh honey, Prince Charming will never find you with a glass slipper!"
You: "Well, gee, I never thought about it until now but I guess you're right!"
Me: "What a gawddamn jackass you are with your waxed eyebrows, ass implants and shiny face!! You can suck my fat toe!"
Or something like that.
The point is, I see so many women (myself included) who can't seem to love themselves at this moment. I'm not 21, nor would I ever want to be 21 again. Was I hot? I think so but at the time I felt fat, unattractive and plain. When I look back at those pictures I think, "DAMN! I was smokin' hot! Whatta sexy bitch!"
So maybe I'm not perfect now, but I am learning to accept that I do not have to wait to be society's ideal of what is "beautiful" because I'm pretty damn awesome the way I am right now.
Cankle lipo? Toe lifts? Belly-button modification? Pec implants?
What next? A real Stepford Wife clinic?
I only hope Lola, my 3-year-old daughter, is smarter than to get sucked in by all of this Top Model bullshit. But it will take change. And change starts with you and with me. I, for one, won't let the fashion/beauty/hair industry dictate to me how I should look and feel.
And neither should you. Be able to think for yourself and be strong enough not to get sucked into feeling like you're not good enough because someone else says so.
You're not that weak. And if you are, then toughen up buttercup because you're teaching a whole new generation of girls to be weak, too.
t.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I am not on the fence.

    However, socially, emotionally and as a woman, I totally get why women want to fix every flaw they have... that press release failed to mention that one of the most common surgerys performed for women has to do with neatening up your labia, making it neat and tidy and the same 'length' on both sides. (I've forgotten the term right now, I'm almost sure it's not Labiotomy...)

    I've got better ways to spend money. But I don't be-grudge any woman or man that wants to fix their parts. It's your body, your choice. Knock yourself out, make yourself happy.

    What really amazes me is the power of popular culture and the lure of creating a 'perfect' image of beauty.

    ... I need to be perfect... I need to be better... I'm not good enough the way I am... I will only be happy when I _____ (have better tits, thinner ankles or shorter labia.)

    Tamara's right, we've got to show our little girls how to value themselves without having it be all about the way they look.

    However, with perfect teenage cuties like Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Hannah Montana and High School Musical leading their way... as well as plastic surgery as a quick fix to any body dissatisfaction, I don't know that they stand a chance...

    Always a hot topic T!
    Cheers.
    k

    ReplyDelete