Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dear diary, we need to talk

Imagine my surprise when Big Daddy came home and asked, "Would anyone be upset if they read your blog?"

My ears perked up and I said, "OMG! No! Why!?" knowing damn well that there would be one person who would be pissed. "Did your mother read my blahg!?!"

"What did you write about," he enquired, knowing full well it couldn't have been anything good.

"Uhm, nothing."

"Then why were you so concerned at first and now you're saying it's nothing."

Fuck.

OK, the thing is, I use everyday life as my muse for blogging whether it's parenting, marriage, family, friends, work... whatever.

Do I think anyone I write about will be offended? No. And I sure as shit didn't think Big Daddy's mother would care because a) what the hell would she be doing reading my blahg seeing as his 'rents don't seem to take any interest in what I do and, b) who knew she was that computer savvy, for the love of GAWD!

Let's clear some things up, shall we, dear diary?
The MIL and I have never gotten along, that's not a secret. In fact, there aren't many MIL/DIL relationships that are based on a foundation of love and friendship.
That doesn't excuse my blatant disregard for her feelings by referring to her as an "old bag."
She's not that bad, really. She did give birth to the greatest guy in the world so that counts for a lot. She's just set in her ways, isn't used to someone as obviously sarcastic, abrasive, tenacious, fierce and ferocious as I am. She's a strong woman in her own right. We don't have to get along or like each other. We just have to find a way to not let our personal feelings affect everyone around us.
So, she's royally pissed and I think even Big Daddy's Poppa is too. You see, they don't like the idea of me posting things to the public to see, especially if it's about them. I can understand that...
I'm quite empathetic, you know.
Big Daddy went through the posting and pointed out things he thought would have upset her. No point in rehashing it, and I'm not backtracking or regretting the post but our mini vacay to the Stettler Steam Train may be in jeapordy because she's that pissed. So is Big Daddy.
Fuck. I hate having to do the "apologizing" thing when I don't feel that I did anything wrong but for the sake of keeping the peace, I will make this pledge: no more MIL/FIL anecdotes.
Now, for my kids sake I won't cancel that trip and I hope that she can understand that I meant nothing by it, except to use my situation as a way to relate to other readers.
Anyway, I would hate to have my insensitivity ruin that trip tomorrow. On some level, I hope she just chalks it up to me being a bitch and shakes her head, thinking, "That damn Tamara! She's so annoying!! But, that's who she is."
t.

No comments:

Post a Comment