Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dear diary, spending time with the inlaws

Each year, Big Daddy and I take the kids and his parents somewhere for a few days to "get away" from it all. It's also our way of thanking the old folks for watching the kids whenever we need them too. They play a HUGE role in our kid's lives and, despite the fact that the MIL and I do not get along, I believe my kids need a solid relationship with their grandparents.

My grandparents were instrumental in my life, instilling values, etiquette (yes, I do have manners believe it or not!), and showing me a life outside of the innercity.

So, regardless of what relationship I do or do not have with the old bag, er, I mean Big Daddy's mom, I would never, ever deny my kids the joy of having grandparents who love them! She is a strong-willed Norwegian who is used to having her way, when she wants it, how she wants it and anyone who says otherwise better be prepared for a battle.

We've had more than a few.

Since we've had kids, things have gotten worse because she doesn't like my parenting style - I swear in front of my kids, I will discipline them no matter where we are or who's around to see it, I am very strict and don't put up with bullshit or disrespect.

Of course, she hates to see her "babies" get in trouble so when I say, "NO GAWDDAMN WAY can you have a cookie before supper!" she ignores me and puts a plate in front of him. I swear she does it just to piss me off.

I have told her multiple times, "You raise your kids, I'll raise mine. Oh, wait. That's right. You DID raise your kids. Now leave mine the hell alone!"

Yeh, dinners can be tense and it's cause for me to double up on the prozac that day if I want to make it through with out strangling the old bat, er, her.

Big Daddy's poppa is another story all together.

He has welcomed me into his family right from the beginning and didn't flinch when we told him we were getting married on A-Channel's The Big Breakfast, unlike a certain MIL who threatened not to go.

Ahem.

Anyhoo, Pops has been great. He gets me, probably even more than Big Daddy does. He sees that I'm not as terrible as I prefer people to think I am, and he laughs innapropriate sexual innuendos at the dinner table. I love him dearly and he is one of the few men in my life I trust.

No extended vaycay this year... for sanity's sake
This year, we're taking the inlaws on the Stettler Steam Train for a day trip. I'm looking forward to it for a couple of reasons:
a) there's no multiple-day, all-day visits
b) there's alcohol service on the train (woot!)
c) it sounds like a fun adventure that my kids will surely enjoy!
That's tomorrow.
On Sunday, we're taking the kids on a road trip to Drumheller for a few days. Oz has a fascination with dinosaurs and we only have a few days we can spare to get away so this is perfect.
I really prefer lots of long weekends during the summer anyway instead of one long trip in the middle of a busy tourist season. Lots of long weekends means every Friday off during the summer. It's my treat to myself - and my family - for putting up with me throughout the rest of the year.
Wish me luck tomorrow... we are all driving together to Stettler so.... I may just bring a flask or 6 with me for the ride! LOL kidding... I'll have my crackberry and will be posting Twitter updates from the trip.
Hope you enjoy these lazy days of summer!
t.

No comments:

Post a Comment