Friday, April 13, 2012

3 Titanic Life Lessons

I have this weird thing about relating movies and music to moments in my life; Stand By Me was the movie that defined by childhood, and Titanic is the movie that defined my early 20s.

When I was 21, I was wandering up another life path to a dead end. I knew what I wanted in life but I was struggling to figure out how to get there. The breaking point for me was when my boyfriend died and I had no way to make it to Toronto for his funeral. I felt so completely helpless and shattered, totally unsure of how to glue together the pieces of my life to make something of myself without support or guidance from anyone. The following year I was able to get to Toronto to meet his mom and put some closure on that chapter of my life. Upon returning from my trip, I got the phone call that I was hired to be on the sports desk at the Daily Courier in Kelowna. It was like the next chapter of my life was written for me and all I had to do was live it.

That was the year Titanic came into the theatres. I went to see the movie by myself and I remember watching Rose's struggle with her own path in life and relating to her character. At the end when Jack makes her promise to live and to never let go of that promise before he dies, I saw myself in that moment with my own boyfriend who died. I knew I wasn't completely over his death but that he would want me to go on and live a full life.

Just like in the movie, he saved me too. 

I envisioned myself as the future Rose who went on to live the life she truly wanted, never letting go of her promise and keeping the memory of Jack to herself all those years.

And just like Rose, I don't even have a picture of him.

I took so many messages from that movie that I could write blog after blog about it but I won't bore you with all the reasons I love Titanic.

I will, however, give you three life lessons to implement into your FIERCE life.


1. Be the Molly Brown of your circle

Margaret Brown was a no-bullshit babe who didn't care if the "old money" club were offended by her so-called "vulgar" ways. She played the game and played it well, never once compromising her values or changing the core of who she was.

If you find yourself in a networking situation or a social situation where the cliquey, gossipy bunch are clucking away about inconsequential bullshit, play the game but play it on your terms. Don't let anyone make you feel like you're not worthy to be a part of their "crowd" but don't feel obligated to stay, either. Remember: negative or snarky remarks are a reflection of the person spewing the venom. Do your best to maintain some level of dignity but don't be afraid to deflect it with intelligence, wit and a larger-than-life persona.


2. Don't be afraid to let go
The path that you're on doesn't mean it's the path you have to take. We make choices in our lives every day and if you keep making the same choice, expect the same results. If you want to lose weight, quit eating junk. If you want to be happier, do things that truly make you happy. If you want a better job, DO things to improve your resume. Let go of the stuff that weighs you down and keeps you from living the life you want, not the life you think you're "suppose" to live.

3. Play to the end
The nobility of Wallace Hartley and his band playing until the Titanic sank, is one of my absolute favourite stories to come out of the Titanic. They did what they loved right up until the last moments. Do that! Why do the things that make you miserable when we all know that life is too damn short! Housework doesn't count in this case, either, since we all have to do it but other than that PLAY! Have fun! Do the things that make the very essence of your soul SHINE! Do something every day to make yourself smile and do it up until the day you die.



 
Return to You Are FIERCE

2 comments:

  1. This makes me feel all SPARKLY! Thanks Tamara!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how movies can be so therapeutic. For me, The Decendants, struck a very strong cord. I watched as the 2 daughters were treated very differently, as they dealt with their mother's death, because of their age. The daughters in the movie were 10 and 17. When I was 10 my sister died, I was given minimal information and didn't understand the seriousness of the situation until she died. I was 17 when my father died. Overnight I turned into an adult and needed to help around the house and be a sounding board for my mother. I remember her talking to me about life insurance and asking if I knew where the documents were. It would have been a conversation she'd have with my father, but he was no longer there. The movie really hit home with the fact that the age I was when traumatic events happen, played a major role in how I dealt with them.

    ReplyDelete