Thursday, April 19, 2012

How do you say what you do? (Give your self credit.)

Ugh. I hate this question. I hate it so much that when someone asks me what I do, I physically feel myself cringe and automatically force a fake smile and start tripping over my words.

"Oh, you know, I.. uh, well. I have this community of women and there are events and... the FIERCE awards are the signature event..."

Yeh it's always awkward.

I don't know what has happened to me, seriously. I used to BE the publisher of MOM Magazine. I used to know who I was and what I did when I had something tangible to show people. Not only have the past 2 1/2 years stolen chunks of my memory but it's damn well stolen my identity, too. Well. I gave it up, stepped away from, and let go of it; No blame game, I own all of the mistakes and choices I made.

Anyway, yeh, no print mag means no identity for me; I defined who I was by what I did. 

Now, having this mish mash of elements that make up FIERCE with nothing really tangible (yet... I need one more month before I launch what will be the flagship product for FIERCE), it has seriously spun me into one fuck of an identity crisis.

Ahem. So, Danielle, thank you for forcing me to figure this shit out at 8 a.m.

Before I go any further with my day, I will figure out an introduction on who I am, what I do and how to let people know without coming across as a rambling dumbass who lacks confidence and direction.

I am FIERCE. I have created a community where women empower, inspire and engage each other in a no-catty bullshit environment. We host events throughout the year culminating in our signature event, the FIERCE Women of the Year awards. Our blogs keep our readers connected to events in Edmonton, and introduce them to FIERCE women all over the world. Best of all, we affirm through our brand that "You Are FIERCE!"

Dammit all to hell I'm a better writer than I am a speaker. OK, well that's a start right?? RIGHT!?!? BAH! BAH! BAH! BAH!!

Enough about me, how do YOU introduce yourself??


 
Return to You Are FIERCE

1 comment:

  1. I always say I'm a mom first, then I think um I am way more than just that why did I say that first? I have lost a bit of my identity because I've stayed at home with my kiddies.
    So here goes, I'm shy but I will approach you and try to make you comfortable. I like making people feel good if they are having a rough day, month, year. I can't fix your problems but I will lend an ear if you need me to. I am a minority but that doesn't define me because I am Canadian. I run 2 independent distributorships and I love my family.

    ReplyDelete