Monday, April 23, 2012


Self-reliance is a skill.

Back in the day when I was growing up in the inner city in Edmonton, I learned at an awfully young age that the only person I could truly count on was myself. I became jaded, fiercely independent, and refused to rely on anyone for anything.

In fact, the only people I ever trusted to be there for me were my grandparents so when my grandma died when I was 19, I felt very much alone and determined not to need or count on anyone to take care of me; not friends, not family, and especially not a man.

I'm an extreme person, someone who doesn't trust easily or like to feel vulnerable or emotionally in debt to someone so it took a long time and a LOT of patience on Big Daddy's part to soften the dangerously rough edges of my character (trust me, I'm less likely to lose my temper or drop the gloves with someone than I was 20 years ago). 

Maybe my self-reliance and strong sense of self is why I detest princesses and high maintenance friendships. I view weakness in any form with both empathy and disgust; empathy because 

No comments:

Post a Comment