Tuesday, April 17, 2012

6 Things I Learned in 6 Years

By Ashley Fraser-Sexmith, founder of Kula Klips
Kula Klips is celebrating it's 6th anniversary and Ashley was kind enough to share 6 entrepreneurial lessons she has learned over the past 6 years. 




1. Being an entrepreneur is tough! I didn't realize how many hours had to be put into running your own company if you want to be successful at it.

2. Don't assume you can work with the kids. I started this business way before I had children but I see many entrepreneurs start up because they think hey I can work from home and take care of my kids at the same time. WRONG! You may be able to do this some of the time but I can tell you first hand children take up a lot of time. Yes there are days I get things done with the kiddo's but I made the decision to hire childcare 2x a week and I have an assistant that helps me get it all done (no smoke and mirrors here!)

3. There's A LOT of bills that have to be paid! Sure anyone can have a great idea and start a business but the amount of bills that go into it is crazy! If you do decide to become an entrepreneur I suggest you meet with a business advisor or do your research first. There's nothing worse than not being prepared!

4. Don't sweat the small stuff. You've heard it before, I am reiterating
it, there are so many little things that can happen and if you get yourself worked up or stressed out over it all you'll never be able to handle it.

5. Make friends in the industry. It's amazing what I have learned from the fabulous people I've met over the years in the children's industry. Whether it be at a trade show or even on Twitter, its great to feel connected to others going through the same things as you.

6. Find a balance. This is so important when you have a family! Remember the kids are only little once! I have time set aside for work and time set aside for family, this logic has made me a better wife and mother because I am there when my family needs me and they understand when it's time for me to work. Don't forget about yourself to because everyone needs a little time to do things for themselves.


Return to You Are FIERCE

1 comment: