Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Edmonton's Notorious Cromdale slated for demolition

That was the Edmonton Journal headline I read as I was trying to fall asleep tonight. Yes, I keep my BB with me at all times, even in bed, and I find that reading the news is a great way to fall asleep.

I can't even begin to tell you how many conflicted emotions I have about the Cromdale Hotel.

Most of my childhood memories involve that rat trap in one way or another.

We lived in a house directly behind the Cromdale when I was about four years old. My mom worked there as a waitress and it was at the Cromdale where she met the man who would be instrumental in making the rest of my childhood something I'd rather forget and have had to bury in order to survive. He is the reason my adult life has been filled with nightmares, anger and hate.

Good ol' Cromdale.

I remember sleeping in the car outside the Cromdale, waiting for him & my mom to finish drinking.

When we were old enough to be left at home, 7-8 years old, I remember phoning the Cromdale and paging my mom only to be told by the person on the other end that they didn't page anyone. Even at that age, I remember being cocky and pulling attitude with whoever answered the phone, saying, "Listen, let me talk to Mike or Stan (the owners at the time) because he knows my mom!"

Sometimes, she would call me back. Most times, she didn't.

There is not one year of the 15 years I lived at home that didn't involve that place in one way or another.

Walking to Klondike Days, we would have to walk right by the Cromdale to get to the grounds. I remember thinking that if we could just get past that block, we'd be OK. Even taking the bus to school was frustrating because anytime the bus stopped in front of the Cromdale, I always wondered which scumbag would get on.

The number of times my mom came home from that bar, bruised, bloody and battered are too many to count.

My mom left her soul in that place, I'm sure of it.

The Cromdale was always there, attracting the lowest of the low: hookers, strippers, drug dealers, low life criminals. If you wanted to get into that life, the Cromdale was the place to network.

I've been in the lobby, I actually had a drink for my 18th birthday with my mom, sort of a "bonding moment" for us. When I came home from college on the weekends, if I ever wanted to find my mom, I would stop in at the Cromdale to look for her.

I always felt like I was better than every single person in that place. Like I couldn't be bothered to make eye contact with them or associate with them because I was never going to be like them.

It was a filthy place. I hated it. And yet I have mixed emotions about it being demolished. I mean, it needs to go, that community will never achieve the goals they have if that building stays, even if it has been condemned since 2004.

But for me, the Cromdale makes the demons of my past real. It is a landmark that will always be in my memories. It is something tangible to associate all of the bad stuff with.

Maybe demolishing it will help me release those demons, I don't know. But I can still see the inside of that bar. I can still see my mom sitting in a booth, not much older than I am now. She was 36 when I turned 18, so, yah.

Wow.

The mere mention of that place has dredged up all of these feelings.

I couldn't even relax enough to sleep, I needed to get this off my chest... release it to the universe.

I hate what the Cromdale stood for and now, it will stand no more.

But the demons that place have created for me, will live on forever. Or until I can afford a damn good therapist!

C.R.U.D

The community remember and the community that is now, 2009, are completely different.

Since I couldn't sleep, I did a little bit of research about the Cromdale and found this organization, CRUD (Community Response to Urban Disorder).

They are a group of people who are making changes and taking back the community from the drug dealers and prostitutes. I can only hope that they continue to be the voice of the people who live in that community because, for the most part, they are good people.

Check them out at www.crudedmonton.org

As for me, I feel like this could very well be a huge step in my healing process. Because as deep as I bury those demons, they're still there. They need to be demolished, too.

t.

13 comments:

  1. yikes, Im a 'hood kid too, and remember that place being terrifying. I was only a kid, but I remember frequently using the word 'rapist' to describe certain places in the neighborhood, and that was one of them. (rapist park, rapist forest in the river valley, rapist hotel, you get the picture) sadly enough it was usually because someone I knew had been raped in our around them. its a rough patch of earth, and as long as I remember it always has been.
    I was a little further north down 118th, but I remember when there was literally ONE police officer with a vehicle at the abbotsfield station, and watching my playground burn to the ground because the police came down on bikes when we called 911 saying there were kids telling us they were going to light it on fire. its going to take a massive effort to turn that place around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your blog while I was doing a bit of research.

    I'm very sorry. I could hear the pain in your words as I read this, and this must have been hard to write. I hope you can come and watch part of the demolition, if and when it happens.

    I'm a member of CRUD, and the present owner of the hotel is acually appealing the demolition order. If you are still local, the next hearing is on March 12, 2010, at City Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think the Cromdale Hotel should be torn down, however,there are other groups who feel the Cromdale Hotel should be re-opened as it would provide a variety of employment opportunities in the Cromdale area.

    http://brocket99news.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/good-times-at-the-cromdale-hotel/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rod,
    Anyone who thinks the Cromdale is worth saving obviously has no idea of what is happening in that building. It's PRIME real estate. But that building holds too many skeletons and ghosts (many of which belong to my mom) and I would be more than happy to see it demolished. It's like a cancerous tumour... remove the fuckin' thing and get on with life.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cromdale seems to be more infamous than just in Alberta as an American Country Band has done a song featuring the Cromdale Hotel called 118th Ave within the Indian Idol track. A cousin gave me the CD for Christmas and I was suprised as anyone that an American Native music group would have heard of the Cromdale. How odd.

    Lyric exerpt=
    ...Elvis Manywounds is here
    with some top loading vcr
    We're going to the Cromdale
    in his old blue car

    118th Ave is the place to be
    118th ave is the place for me...


    http://cdbaby.com/cd/dicktwang3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tamara,

    Here I am at the library and I came across your blog. The Cromdale is even sung about by the famous Lenny Red-Nuts and he's from Brocket!

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gCLQtK_EDy4

    "I got a case of whisky,
    got it from a friend.
    Went to a funeral in Brocket,
    that was the end.
    Went to the Cromdale in Edmonton
    Got into a knife fight
    and stabbed him in the gut"

    Wierd how infamous the Cromdale Hotel really is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The song mentioned by Rod is actually a song called "118 Ave" written and performed by the character of Lenny Red-nuts. It was submitted by the writer to the Dick Twang Band and they used it as part of a comedy skit called "Indian Idol", on their third album "Not Too Pretty Bad".

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Haughs O'Cromdale

    ...When we were in bed, sir, everyman
    when the English host upon us came,
    A bloody battle then began
    Upon the haughs of Cromdale...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n24v5_sOx0Q

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been a avid reader of your blog since coming across your Cromdale post last year. Although I was born in South Korea, I did live for a time in Edmonton while going to high school. During this time, I had the the displeasure of having to pass the Cromdale as I would go to or return from school. There was such pain and misery, I could shoot my heart out upon it. From drunk white and native guys, sleazy winter women, drug dealers, and other underground types. As a dare, my friends and I went to a sleazy strip club located in the back basement of the Cromdale, which must have been a storage room at one time. There was no real stage, and it was simply coked-up strippers with glazed eyes-white coming down a set of cement stairs dancing nude on the cement floor. I remember there being a bar in the corner, a lot of native thugs and a lot of white gang member bikers. It was wild and surreal and dangerous.

    Years later, I see that the Cromdale is slated for demolition and the owners are fighting it. It is almost perverse how the owner wants to keep this creature from the Black Lagoon alive. The Cromdale has been dead for many years even when it was open, much like it's previous and current inhabitants, but I guess they just didn't know it yet.

    The area could be revitalized, but the only way this can happen is by destroying the Hub of Slime, which is the Cromdale Hotel. We all know this, but will city hall truly go through with the demolition order or will this be an unending fight back and forth in court. The owner, I believe, is holding out, hoping waiting praying that the city will get tired of dealing with him and simply buy him out. People wonder who this mystery man may be. Perhaps these links can answer you and your readers questions:

    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15062

    http://www.facebook.com/family/Nyquvest/1



    Such dreams could 118 be
    the future held back by this blight
    with the crash of brick and stone
    sweet dreams of starry light

    Once the owner has no reprieve
    the ghosts that dwell in the Cromdale
    will have safe passage to leave

    winter women rising
    snow falling

    on rubble disgraced

    erased



    So I and all of us are hoping that you will continue your coverage of the Cromdale including when it is torn down. Don't give up on your dreams.

    Kang Chul-Su

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today, I am thankful for my neighborhood.

    I am thankful that today, a meeting is being held that will help determine the future of the Cromdale Hotel on Alberta Avenue. The Hotel has been vacant for years, and takes up a huge amount of space in my neighborhood. Vacant, dirty, dilapidated space. I pray for flowers to bloom on that space, figuratively or literally. I pray for change. People are appealing to the city to have the building torn down. I think it is time. The Cromdale is a seething metaphor for a shady skin our street is shedding. I am thankful for CRUD and all the people and organizations working so hard to change this one corner and thus change a city. I pray that love wins this morning.

    I am thankful that I can choose to walk to the grocery store and find cheap, quality veggies and deli. For mandarin oranges and smoked Gouda. I am thankful that I can choose to walk my kids to and from school. I can choose to walk and get one of the worlds’ greatest hot dogs at The Dawg Father on Alberta Avenue. I can choose to walk to festivals and live music. I can choose to walk towards a fresh sandwich and donut at The Popular Bakery. I can choose to walk to buy guitar and banjo paraphernalia at Myers’ Music. I can choose to walk my new dog around the block on a wide, clean city trail. I can choose to board the LRT for adventure. I can choose to walk to the river valley and then walk some more, nestled in nature’s beauty mere moments from city hustle. I can choose to walk to my local library, or the Big One downtown. I can choose to walk for coffee to neighborhood havens like Mandolin Books and The Carrot, and find therein a wealth of beautiful people and art to know. I can choose to take time knowing. To take time. And to know. I can choose these things because nearly five years ago, this neighborhood chose my family and I.

    I am thankful that somehow I’ve stumbled into this thing called New Urbanism (see below). I’m thankful that such utopian ideals still excite me. And for well built running strollers. And big (but hopefully not too big), real dogs with love to give. And a family choosing more and more every day to embrace the life that has chosen them. I’m thankful that Christ was here long before we arrived.

    Somehow. By grace. And I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tamara's Cromdale article makes the Edmonton Journal!

    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opinion/op-ed/Cromdale+impending+demolition+stirs+mixed+emotions/2709905/story.html

    ReplyDelete