Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Oscar's Lunch... no ketchup sandwiches here!

There is a reason I put a lot of effort into packing my kid's lunch for school.

Back in the day, my brother and I would would go to the neighbour's house for lunch. This neighbour was a very good friend of my mom's and quite nice, actually, but the only thing she made us for lunch was ketchup sandwiches. Now, I don't know if it was a money thing or because she didn't like us, but that's my memory of school lunches.

So, every morning since Oz has been going to school, I pack his lunch with fruit, a snack bag of veggies, a sandwich and a treat. I put a lot of love and thought into those lunches, and I don't expect any special awards for making them.

But he will never have to experience a ketchup sandwich and therefore doesn't appreciate how important it is to me that he have a decent lunch.

It's weird because I will never be "that mom" who sends cupcakes to school or volunteers for field trips (I don't like kids in general so groups of them causes me great stress and an additional prozac).

But this school lunch thing is where I shine as the Betty Crocker mom.

Which brings me to another piss-off - the Hot Lunch program.

How is having Hot Lunches from McDonalds or Wendys teaching kids about healthy eating and nutrition?

I'm not saying I never take the kids there, because I have enough McDs bags in my truck that would tell you otherwise, but I expect more from a hot lunch program in the schools. Granted, Spruce Grove and Stony Plain are fairly small so the options are limited but come ON!

OK, enough ranting for this morning, I've got real work to do and another coffee to drink.

Happy humpday!

t.

No comments:

Post a Comment